Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fifth Passage

Cade    Be brave, then for your captain is brave and vows
reformation. There shall be in England seven halfpenny
loaves sold for a penny, the three-hooped pot shall have
ten hoops, and I will make it felony to drink small beer.
All the realm shall be in common, and in Cheapside
shall my palfrey go to grass. And when I am king, as
king I will be -
All Cade's Followers  God save your Majesty!
Cade I thank you good people! - there shall be no
money. All shall eat and drink on my score, and I will
apparel them all in one livery that they may agree like
brothers, and worship me their lord.
Butcher  The first thing we do let's kill all the lawyers.
Cade Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this lamentable
thing that of the skin of an innocent lamb should be
made parchment? That parchment, being scribbled
o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings, but I
say 'tis the bee's wax. For I did but seal once to a thing,
and I was never mine own man since. How now?
Who's there?
    Enter some bringing forth the Clerk of Chatham [Sexson]
Weaver The Clerk of Chatham - he can write and read
   and cast account.
Cade    O, monstrous!
Weaver    We took him setting of boys' copies.
Cade    Here's a villain.
Weaver    He's a book in his pocket with red letters in't.
Cade    Nay, then he is a conjurer!
Butcher    Nay, he can make obligations and write court
   hand.  (Shakespeare  845, Act IV, Sc. 2, Vrs. 69-97)

Works Cited:
Shakespeare, William. "The Second Part of Henry the Sixth." The Complete Pelican Shakespeare. Ed. Stephen Orgell and A.R. Braunmuller. New York: Penguin Group, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment